Technologies will afford you many learning opportunities in the MHA program. Make sure you have the appropriate technical requirements, or hardware, to complete the learning activities.
Optimally, you will use a computer that meets the following specifications and is five years old or newer when possible. Your live session (class) experience will be strengthened by using headphones instead of the microphone and speaker on your machine. Headphones help block out background noise for you and your classmates. The following specifications are an aggregated list of requirements from the tech tools you’ll be using most in class: Zoom and TurnItIn.
NOTE: Supported Browsers are listed below, but Chrome is recommended for an optimal experience in NYU Brightspace.
The online classroom requires a computer with sufficient processing power and memory. Your computer should not be older than five years, and preferably will be newer. Other technical requirements are listed below.
Also, headsets are strongly recommended for live sessions. They help reduce background noise, but more importantly, they eliminate speaker feedback that can occur when
you use your computer's built-in sound system.
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone or headphones (preferred) – built-in, plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam – built-in or USB plug-in
- Or, a HD cam or HD camcorder with video capture card
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows (8.1 or better)
- Mac OS (10.13 or better)
- Ubuntu (18.04 or better)
Supported Mobile Devices
- iOS and Android devices
- Blackberry devices
Supported Browsers (Latest versions)
- Windows: IE+, Firefox, Chrome
- Mac: Safari, Firefox, Chrome
- Linux: Firefox, Chrome
- Minimum: Single Core 2Ghz or Higher
- Recommended: Dual Core 2 Ghz or Higher (i3/i5/i7 or AMD equivalent)
- Recommended: 4Gb
- Preferred: 6 Gb
- Note: Linux requires a processor or graphics card that can support OpenGL 2.0 or higher
High DPI Support
- High DPI displays are supported in Zoom version 3.5 or higher
The bandwidth used by Zoom will be optimized for the best experience based on the participant’s network. It will automatically adjust for 3G, WiFi or Wired environments. Recommended bandwidth for Meetings and Webinar Panelists:
- For 1:1 video calling: 600kbps (up/down) for HQ video and 1.2 Mbps (up/down) for HD video
- For group video calling/courses: 600kbps/1.2Mbps (up/down) for HQ video. For gallery view: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (up/down).
- For screen sharing only (no video thumbnail): 50-75kbps
- For screen sharing with video thumbnail: 50-150kbps
- For audio VoiP: 60-80kbps
If you have any questions about any of these requirements, contact Tech Support for help.